Can I fix my boyfriend's papers right after we get married? 10 Answers as of November 21, 2012

He's from Mexico but I plan on marrying him. We're planning to get married soon. Can I fix his papers right after we get married? We would get married in Mexico. He's never entered the US. I just want to know if I am able to do that as soon as possible. How long would this take?

SwagatUSA, LLC
SwagatUSA, LLC | Dhenu Savla
If your boyfriend is has never been here legally in the United States, then there are no papers that need to be fixed; however you may apply for him to enter on a green card to the United States. Generally speaking fixing is for somebody who has illegal presence in the United States. You are lucky that your boyfriend has no illegal presence, and therefore you would be getting him new papers.
Law Office of Jeffrey Lisnow | Jeffrey Lisnow
Speak with an attorney BEFORE you do anything.
You can apply for a fiance I-129F visa, which will take about 3-5 months to complete and have approved by USCIS with an entry visa to be granted by the U.S. Consulate to your fiance. You have to marry within 90 days, and then you can apply for adjustment of status (green card).
Assuming you are a US citizen, your future husband is admissible into the USA, and further, "fixing problems" means making a request for an immigrant visa on his behalf, my answer would be yes you probably can. However, it is not going to happened right the way. In other words, if you imagine that you would take him to a US consulate, show your Mexican marriage certificate and get a green card for him - this is not going to happen. Instead, you would need to seek an immigrant visa on his behalf. That process would take up to a year.
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
If you marry in Mexico you can begin immediately filing for an alien relative petition with USCIS as soon as you return home. Please keep in mind that your boyfriend will remain in Mexico until the petition is approved and then he will need to start consular processing. Plan on processing time of at least 6 months.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You may file your I-130 petition as soon as you become legally married. It generally takes several months for the processing to take place.
    Yes, if he has never been to the US and has no issues with US immigration, you can petition for him as soon as you are married.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    Yes. You can petition for your boyfriend immediately after getting married.
    Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
    If you are a US citizen, you can file an I-130 visa petition for your husband. If you are not married yet, you can file an I-129F petition for a fiance. In either case, he will need to apply for the visa at the US Embassy in Mexico after the petition is approved. If you want the process to be completed quickly, you should hire an immigration attorney.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    If he hasn't been to the U.S. and is otherwise admissible, the entire process from I-130 filing to Consular Processing should take roughly 12 to 18 months, assuming no "glitches" in the processing.