Can I find out if someone had a bankruptcy discharge? 6 Answers as of October 13, 2010

Is there a way for me to find out whether or not someone had certain debts discharged through a bankruptcy?

Sure. Check the court file.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
Yes, you can go to court and look at the file.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
There are several ways to find out if someone received a discharge in bankruptcy. An easy way is to ask the person, and ask him or her to provide you with a copy of the Order of Discharge of Debtor that he or see received.

Another way is to do some research on a system called PACER. Anyone can register for a PACER account by following this link: https://www.pacer.gov/psco/cgi-bin/regform.pl
You can look it up on the court records.
Yes. You have to go to the court and search for the records.
    Builders Law Group
    Builders Law Group | Nick Campbell
    If you can access the U.S. Court's "Pacer" website, you can search by an individual or company's name and determine the date the bankruptcy petition was filed. It will also tell you the status of the case. Assuming a discharge was granted, you can usually presume the debt was discharged if it existed prior to the filing date, in which case it was likely dealt with in the bankruptcy estate.

For instance, I represent a large homeowner association which has many delinquencies and several of the homeowners have claimed bankruptcy but we usually only get notice of the discharge date. I frequently review PACER to determine the petition date as the homeowners are still liable for all monthly assessments which arise after the petition was filed, not after the discharge was granted.