Can I file a third party claim after getting rearended if I have no car insurance? 22 Answers as of July 07, 2013

I was rear ended in a parking lot at a stop sign. There's a lot of damage to the rear bumper and frame. We traded information at the scene but I found out that my insurance policy was expired and was never renewed (Which was completely my mistake). Am I still able to file a third party claim with the other driver's insurance company for damage to my car? Or am I basically screwed?

Not in Michigan.
Russell and Lazarus
Russell and Lazarus | Marc Lazarus
Yes, you can bring a third party claim for your property damage and rental car as well as any medical expenses or list wages due to the collision. Civil Code Section 3333.4 only restricts claims of uninsured motorists for pain and suffering.
The lack of insurance means that you can only sue for out of pocket expenses such aw car damage, rental car costs, medical bills, wage loss, but not the physical injuries to your body.
You can file a claim. If they refuse to pay, you can sue.
Gary L. Platt, Attorney at Law | Gary Platt
You can still make a claim against the other driver's insurer, but only for property damage, not for personal injuries, medical bills, or lost wages.
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
    Absolutely, other driver's fault caused your damage, not your lack of insurance.
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC | Christopher Caldwell
    You can make a claim against the other party's insurance if the accident was his fault. Whether you have insurance isn't relevant to your ability to pursue a civil negligence claim if you aren't at fault.
    HYP LAW GROUP | HAMED YAZDANPANAH
    Yes, but you should seek advice of counsel first BC the Insurance carrier will not negotiate with you in good faith. For years, personal injury attorneys have been blaming bad faith tactics by the insurance carriers.
    Law Offices of Alexander E. Gilburg
    Law Offices of Alexander E. Gilburg | Alexander E. Gilburg
    You can and you should file a claim for damages to your car against the other driver and/or their insurance company.
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    You can still make your claim. Whether you had insurance is legally irrelevant to the question of who was at fault.
    The question is, Is the at fault driver covered? Makes no difference if you were or were not or had asparagus for lunch.
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    Yes you can (unless the accident occurred in California or another state with a law barring liability claims of injured drivers who do not have their own auto insurance).
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Whether or not you had insurance on your car is immaterial. If the defendant negligently rear-ended your vehicle he is liable for your damages, and his insurance company should pay for the same.
    ROBOL LAW OFFICE | RICHARD T. ROBOL
    You can file a claim for damage to your car. If the other driver's insurance company refuses to settle, you can sue the other driver for negligence.
    Law Offices of Kevin Cortright
    Law Offices of Kevin Cortright | Kevin Cortright
    Yes you can. File the claim but it is limited to your damages, you can recover for damage to your car and any medical expenses but not pain and suffering.
    Yes. The fact you didn't have insurance has nothing to do with the liability of the driver that hit you.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    You can still file a claim against the other driver. If you were not at fault, your lack of insurance should have no bearing on your claim against the other driver.
    Singleton Law Firm, LLC
    Singleton Law Firm, LLC | Donald W. Singleton
    You are not screwed and it's not a third party claim. If you were not at fault, and it sounds like you were not if you were rear-ended, then just contact the at fault party's insurance carrier and speak with the claims dept. They will ask you questions and open a claim and give you a claim number and assign a claims rep. It may take some time, but if they confirm that it was their insured's fault then they should pay to have your car repaired.
    Goldman & Maurer, LLP | Brian Goldman
    You can file against the third party.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    You obviously cannot make a claim with your own insurance company, but you can with his/her insurance company. The fact that you were not insured at the time should not affect your ability to recover. If they refuse to take care of it you can bring suit vs. the other driver directly.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    You can file a claim.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    You can make a claim against the other driver and his insurance company. You may receive a citation for not having insurance, but it should not affect your rights against the other driver.