Can I file taxes for someone living outside of the United States? 2 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I am in the United States. My brother is in China right now. He will not be return before the tax day. I want to help him. How can I file taxes for him? Is there any special procedure or special forms I have to fill out? I'd really appreciate your answer.

LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You would need to receive his permission but an easier route might be to have a tax professional prepare his taxes and have him review and sign the return. This can be accomplished over email using scanning. That way there is no need to file a form with the IRS.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
If he is outside the country he has an automatic extension. Is he working in China? Is he paying chinese taxes? How long will he be there? We need answers to those questions to help you.