Can I file a police report or complaint to get the mechanic to finally have my car repaired? 5 Answers as of April 14, 2014

Around the last week of September 2013 I bought a Honda Civic and it did not have a transmission. So I went to a mechanic and asked him if he could get me one and he said yes. And when I bought it he did not want to give me a receipt and I kept telling him I wanted my receipt but he said the transmission would last me a long time so I did not need it. He gave me 30 days of guaranty and 2 or 3 days before my guaranty expires the transmission messed up. I called him and told him what happen and at first he did not want to give me another transmission but then he finally said alright. I left the car with him November 2013 and to this day April 10 2014 I been calling and asking him when my car would be fixed. He just says "wait just give me more time" and last time I called on March 2014 he said he just barely bought the transmission and to this day he still has not fixed my car. I also paid him more money for the new transmission even though I had guaranty on it. I would just like to know if I could file a police report or something so I can get my car fixed already. It is about to be half a year that he has it and I had bought brand new tires for it, I'm afraid there bad now for sitting there too long. I'm a student and in May I'll be going to another state and study. I need my car really bad. What would be the best thing that I can do now? Thank you so much.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Police will not help as there is no crime. You can make a complaint to the Bureau of Consumer Affairs, but they may not help much. You could sue in Small Claims Court, but that might not get the job done, as all they can do is render a money judgment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Ever seem Judge Judy on TV? That is what small claims court is for.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/14/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
You got cheated. You DEMAND a receipt. Make a police report.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/14/2014
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Start making some calls: to the police, the Better Business Bureau, the county attorney, and possibly even the Secretary of State. File a complaint with each. If your local TV station or newspaper has an investigative reporter, contact that person and tell him/her what's happening. The mechanic is not going to do anything to fix your vehicle without a little pressure from someone in authority. And as you have learned, never permit someone to sell you something they won't provide a receipt for. Working with a reputable mechanic may cost a little more but he'll also get the work done in a timely manner and with parts that have been obtained legally.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 4/11/2014
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
I think the best thing you can do is buy a good bicycle. But, someone else on here who practices that field of law probably has an idea about the car.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: