Can I file pension taxes on my tax return? 3 Answers as of April 19, 2011

In order to receive my deceased mother's pension, I had to pay $10,000 in taxes on her pension in 2010. Can I file this on my tax return?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Yes, assuming it was an IRA.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/19/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You are not clear on what taxes you have paid, but if you paid federal income taxes on IRA monies received you cannot take an income tax deduction for such income taxes paid on this retirement plan distribution. If you paid state income taxes on such amount, such taxes would be an itemized deduction.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/19/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
Your income taxes belong on the income tax return on which you report the income.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: