Can I file a patent application in multiple countries for the same invention? 2 Answers as of October 22, 2010

I do not understand how patenting a product in the US will protect it from being copied abroad and sold. Can I apply for a patent in other countries for one invention? How else could I protect my ideas from foreign infringement?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
Obtaining a U.S. patent will not protect your invention from infringement in foreign countries, except that an infringer cannot manufacture your claimed invention in a foreign country and sell it in the U.S. without violating your U.S. patent. You can file a patent application on in foreign countries or you may file a PCT [Patent Convention Treaty] application, but the timing is crucial. You must file your foreign or PCT application within one year of your U.S. filing. You should also use a Confidential Disclosure Agreement when disclosing your invention to any third party. Please contact my office for further information.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/22/2010
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
You can file a PCT application from your utility patent that will have the same filing date as the original. This is the easiest and most straight forward way of protecting yourself in other countries, but the costs increase dramatically. Call for a free case review.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: