Can I file N_400 as LPR for 5 years if I am currently separated from my US wife and can I file after 5 years anniversary too? 10 Answers as of March 04, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally, a Permanent Resident may become eligible to file a Form N-400 Application to become a naturalized citizen five years after first getting his "Green Card" (and actually may file 90 days before that threshold date). If the Permanent Resident originally attained his "Green Card" through a marriage-based application, and the marriage has since terminated, he may expect the USCIS to inquire about the marriage at his naturalization interview and examination. Depending upon the circumstances, the applicant should be prepared with information and documentation showing that the couple had lived together in a bona fide marriage notwithstanding its eventual termination, in order to persuade the USCIS adjudicating officer that he did not get his "Green Card" through fraud. Especially if your marriage may have become terminated fairly soon after you became a Permanent Resident, it would be wise to engage an immigration attorney for representation in the naturalization process. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/4/2014
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
If you have been a LPR (with an unconditional green card), for five years, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship, regardless of being married to a USC or not. There are other eligibility requirements. Check the USCIS website or consult an immigration attorney to assist you and to protect your rights. Congratulations.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/4/2014
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
If you have been an LPR for 5 years, and assuming you meet all other requirements for citizenship, you can file your N-400 application for citizenship. At this point, your marital status has no bearing on your eligibility to file.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/28/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You can file after the 5 year anniversary of obtaining your green card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2014
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Yes you can file after 5 years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2014
Click to View More Answers: