Can I file a motion to expunge a property lien myself, or do I have to pay an attorney to do it? Posted on February 03, 2011

During our marriage, my ex-husband's in-laws gave us the money to pay off the mortgage on our marital residence. When we separated, he insisted the money was a loan that had to be paid back to them upon sale of the house if we divorced. Two months later, they had a promissory note drafted saying the money was a loan to him. The divorce decree states that it was a gift, and I am not responsible for repaying the money. They have filed this promissory note as a lien on the property, saying the loan must be repaid upon sale of the house. Several attorneys have told me I need to file a motion to expunge the lien. Can I do this myself, or do I need to pay an attorney to do it?