Can I file a lawsuit against a person for having me falsely arrested when I have the proof in an email? 6 Answers as of January 03, 2014

Can I sue someone for having me falsely arrested for lying saying I threatened him in an email? The proof was in the email that I did not threaten him. I was put in the back of a police car with my five year old son, held at the precinct and told I was under arrest. I had the email of the argument in my pocketbook. After asking to press charges on the person who had me falsely arrested who is also a police officer, two captains read the emails and said they were misinformed and I was free to go. I believe this person had me falsely arrested as a vindictive act because we have a child in common and I took him to court for child support.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Possibly... best consult with an attorney in your area who can review all the facts.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/3/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
IF you have the money to retain an experienced attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/3/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is possibly. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced civil rights attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/3/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Yes you can sue him for abuse of process and malicious prosecution.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/3/2014
Law Office of Daniel K Martin
Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
You can sue anyone, at anytime. It cost about $420 to file the suit. More importantly, will you prevail? On this type of case, you just might win. You should contact an attorney in your area to discuss specifics. They usually do not charge for the first meeting.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: