Can I file a lawsuit against my mother's insurance for an accident that happened on 6/7/14? 3 Answers as of August 26, 2016

I broke my jaw and I was in a coma for 36 hours. I had internal head bleeding and lost 10 more than pounds in less than 24 hours. I crashed into a gas station sign. I didn't get a DUI.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Henry Repay
Law Offices of Henry Repay | Henry Repay
It does not sound like you are suggesting a personal injury claim against any party. If you feel you have any such right, you may have missed the limitations deadline. Inquire with an attorney immediately. Otherwise, you may have a contract claim on the policy to cover some of your expenses. Contact the insurer. If they dispute your right to collect, speak with a local attorney to review the terms of the policy.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/26/2016
Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
No. Since it sounds like you are the responsible driver for the accident, short of a defect in the car, I see no clean for you other than the possible claim for some medical benefits under her policy. Notwithstanding this, you have delayed too long and your statute of limitations is likely over .
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/26/2016
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You cannot "sue" your own insurance. To bring a claim, you must NOT be at fault. You were very badly injured but on your facts, you had been drinking and dozed-off or otherwise lost control of your car which then hit the sign. If the facts were different and your car was hit by another car and that caused you to lose control and hit the sign, your mother's insurance would pay the policy limits to you. If THESE are the facts, you need to contact a personal injury attorney ASAP and hope that the policy does not have a 2-year reporting provision. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/24/2016
Click to View More Answers: