Can I file a lawsuit against the cop who harassed me and punched me hard on the chest? 10 Answers as of July 11, 2014

I was walking with a friend going home around 1 in the morning. Apparently so the cop that pulls next to us instead of seeing if we fit the description to whoever he said was breaking into cars he automatically decided to harass us by asking questions. I don't care I don't have nothing to hide but I do know my rights. So I go ahead start asking him why is he picking on us. And that's when he decided to punch me on my chest so hard I fell. So I ran because I got scared and that’s when the same officer and others that were called beat me up I can't even talk or breath right. They tried charging me with stuff but the judge didn't buy it and dropped everything and let me go. I have never in my life have been arrested not even a ticket. I want to file a lawsuit a big one. This abuse has me in so much pain that my mommy in the morning is taking me to the hospital.

Ken Oliver Law | Kenneth Oliver
Yes you can file a suit against the police officer who you claim assaulted you, and it would be best if you had a witness to corroborate your story. Whether an attorney wants to take your case will depend in large part upon whether you sustained any injuries. If your injuries are minor, it will be difficult to find an attorney who wishes to pursue the matter on your behalf. The more witnesses you have to verify your claim in terms of how the assault occurred, the better.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
Yes you can.
Wm. Keith Dozier, LLC | Keith Dozier
You should consult with a local attorney who handles excessive force cases against police agencies. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your situation you may have a valid claim. It will be limited somewhat, however, by the extent of your injury. If you cannot find an attorney to speak with or handle your case on-line, you may call the Oregon State Bar's free Attorney Referral Service.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, you have a good lawsuit if you can convince a jury of the facts you stated. You and your friend would be witnesses to the assault and battery. You would probably want to sue the cops individually and the police department. Find a good personal injury lawyer who knows how to sue cops and police departments. Let me know if you need a referral in your town.
Yes. Get your mommy to retain an experienced personal injury lawyer familiar with Civil Rights violations. Good luck.
    You have a civil rights/ police brutality case. However, you should never "smart off" to a cop. Be respectful and you will be treated with respect.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You say harass, the police will say investigate. It's a slam-dunk loser.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    Yes, you have a claim.
    You can, but you may have some difficulty finding a lawyer willing to take this on. Cops have a way of coming up with a different version of events than the people who sue them, they all back each other up, and juries tend to view them as the good guys who are keeping us safe from criminals. Being right isn't enough. You have to be able to prove your case,and guess what they will also have lawyers to whip any technicality that they can right back at you. Not impossible, but certainly not easy.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    How old are you?
    Answer Applies to: Iowa