Can I file immigration papers on my own if my wife refuses to file them? 2 Answers as of February 08, 2011

I have been married for more than six years and my wife refuses to send in my paperwork to immigration. Can I file my papers without her?

Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If your spouse mistreat you, or are a victim of domestic violence, you can file the paper all by yourself under "VAWA- Form -360". She doesn't have to know you even filed. Be sure to have a mail box address. If your spouse doesn't mistreat you (Simply refuses to file), then you can not file on your own. A VAWA package is very complicated, so be sure to have a good attorney who understand the cycle of violence to help you out. Good luck.
The answer is generally no because your wife needs to be the sponsor. The exception is if you divorce her and you, with help of a lawyer, prove you are abused spouse. Good luck!