Can I file for full custody of my son? If so, what papers do I need to file and where can I file? 6 Answers as of July 24, 2013

My wife and I agree to divorce, but I am seeking full custody of my son.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
When the Divorce Complaint is drafted you ask for custody in that Complaint.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/24/2013
Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
You and your wife, assuming that you both agree, can prepare a separation agreement and then final divorce papers. It isn't required that you have an attorney. You may find some of the pro se divorce packets difficult to understand. You can typically pick up these packets from your Supreme Court Clerk's Office
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/22/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
You will need to file a petition for dissolution along with all the required paperwork. In that petition, you will spell out the agreements you have reached with your wife as well as your position on custody (which is now called legal decision-making and parenting time). Your wife will have the opportunity to file a response to that petition and either agree or disagree. I would suggest consulting an attorney if you need assistance.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/22/2013
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
Custody, visitation and child support are all included in the divorce action. I am unsure if the court clerk would have "form" documents for you. If you are seeking full legal custody of your son then you still need to set up visitation with the mother if any and child support as well.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 7/22/2013
Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones
Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones | Carolyn Jones
You can request majority time sharing in the divorce petition.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: