Can I file for divorce from another country? 1 Answers as of April 16, 2012

hi, I am going thru a divorce and a nasty custody battle. My husband has always been an absentee and unconcerned father and husband until the divorce but to get out of child support payments is accusing me of alienating him against my 9 year old daughter. My reason for filing is I have been thru too much mental and emotional abuse and wanted a stop to it. my daughter doesnt like to be with him and wants to be with me. can I stop the divorce and file from my country India where my family is. I am now a US citizen though. I am all alone and have no support structure. please help

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
It appears from your question that you are not only a US citizen, but that your daughter may have been born here in the US and you lived here as a family. That would normally mean you cannot leave the US and go to another country to seek a divorce, unless you can adequately establish legal jurisdiction in that other country. I strongly suggest you speak to a divorce lawyer nearby your present residence and ask that question and many others until you get a clearer picture of what is needed in this instance. My feeling is you should do the divorce here. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: