Can I file for bankruptcy without six months of residency? 5 Answers as of September 24, 2010

Can I file bankruptcy if I have not lived in the state for six months continuously yet?

The Doan Law Firm
The Doan Law Firm | Shawn Doan
Yes, you can always file bankruptcy, however, where you actually must file the case (Venue) is usually where the person has resided the majority of the previous 6 months. Technically, jurisdiction is always appropriate where the principle assets are located.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
You can file in Arizona if you have resided in the state the greater part of 180 days. Therefore, you only need to be a resident for 91 days to file. However, you must have lived in Arizona for two years preceding your bankruptcy filing to use Arizona exemptions. To discuss further, please contact us.
Yes, possibly. Venue is determined based on where you have your principal residence or principal assets for the greater part of the 180 days prior to filing your bankruptcy case. Thus, if you've only lived in 2 places in the last 6 months, and for the past 91 days you have lived where you are now, then you must file your case in the district where you currently live (unless your principal assets are elsewhere).
You can file in the state you live in but have to use the exemptions from your home state.