Can I file for bankruptcy without knowing how much debt is owed? 5 Answers as of September 29, 2010

Can I file for bankruptcy if I do not know how much overall debt is owed and who I owe this debt to? I know that my debt totals at least $35,000 and need to get on with my life.

Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
IF you come to see me. I run a credit report from all 3 agencies which totals your debt.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
Yes, you can file bankruptcy without knowing how much debt is owed. It's more important to know who your creditors are than how much you owe. Normally your credit report will contain most of your creditors.
It is highly important when filing for bankruptcy that you list all known creditors. Prior to filing bankruptcy you should attempt to contact all your potential creditors to determine who you owe money to and in what amounts. Failure to disclose a creditor on your bankruptcy petition will not assist you in the future so it is always best to list everyone you owe money to.

Robert Driessen
You must list all your assets and all your debts in a bankruptcy case. You can obtain a credit report which should give you many of those that you owe money to. You have to make a good faith effort to obtain the information of your creditors.
You have to list your debts. You might be able to list potential debts.