Can I file for bankruptcy if my home is in foreclosure? 5 Answers as of October 20, 2010

My house is in foreclosure, I lost my job six months ago and I cant pay my bills anymore. Several people told me I should file for bankruptcy to try to keep my house but I don’t know if this is possible. Can bankruptcy stop my house from foreclosure?

Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Yes, you can file bankruptcy if your home is in foreclosure. In fact, filing bankruptcy prior to the sale date will temporarily stop the foreclosure and allow you to stay in your home just a bit longer. Your local bankruptcy attorney will be able to assist you.
Yes, you can use Chapter 13 to catch up on mortgage arrearages. You must stay current with your ongoing mortgage payments and have sufficient income to catch up the past due amounts over 60 months.
It can delay the foreclosure process. If you cannot afford to pay the mortgage, you will eventually lose the property but a bankruptcy can delay the process.
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu | Geoffrey Nwosu
Yes, you can definitely file for bankruptcy before the foreclosure. However, a better approach will be to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to make sure that the petition is properly completed to protect your interest. The attorney will verify your foreclosure notice to identify deadlines. This is very critical. We will be very happy to help you here at the law Office of Geoffrey C. Nwosu.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
Yes, but get with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.