Can I file for bankruptcy if I pay off my student loans with my cards? How? 10 Answers as of June 22, 2015

If I pay off my student loans over 5 of my credit cards and maxed them out. Can I file for bankruptcy then and not have to pay back the credit card company?

Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Don't count on it. That would be considered to be fraud, and if the credit card companies object to your discharge they would likely win.
You can, but it is not without risk that the credit cards may object that you used their money to pay a debt which is possibly non-dischargeable.
The credit card company can say that you committed fraud and that the credit card debt should be found to be non dischargeable.
Nice try, Charlie, but this trick doesn't work with tax debt or student loan debt. What you are proposing is also known as bankruptcy fraud and could send you to jail. Seen the latest episode of Orange is the New Black about life in federal prison. Wonder why they call it a country club prison?
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
That discussion may be fraught with discussions on how to commit fraud.
    Watch out or they will come after you for fraud. You are doing it knowing that you are going to go bankrupt. That is something you better not do.
    It is possible that you could get away with it. However, it sounds very much like one type of bankruptcy fraud, incurring a debt (to the credit card issuers) with the intention of discharging it in bankruptcy. Consult a skilled and ethical bankruptcy lawyer. He or she may be able to come up with lawful means of solving your problem.
    In some instances the credit card companies could trace where the payments went. Maxing out your cards before you file for bankruptcy is bankruptcy fraud. Ethically I am not allowed to tell you how do that.
    See a bankruptcy attorney. Sounds like a debt incurred in anticipation of bankruptcy.
    Yes, however you must wait at least 90 days after paying off the student loans.