Can I file for bankruptcy if I dont have complete financial records? 24 Answers as of January 21, 2013

I am filing for bankruptcy and I dont have all the creditor information. Where should I go to get this information and is it even necessary for me to have all financial records available? I may not want to report every creditor, but am I legally obligated to put down everything on my file?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
you are required to schedule all your creditors and make sure they are accurate.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You have to list all known creditors in your bankruptcy petition. If you haven't already, you should obtain a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting bureaus to check and make sure you have everybody. Anybody not listed in an "asset case" chapter 7 or chapter 13 will not be subject to the discharge.
Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
You are required to disclose ALL debt, whether you want to or not. How is it that you do not know who you owe money to?
Bankruptcy Law Center
Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
You are required by law to list all known creditors in your bankruptcy. If you don't know who your creditors are, get your free annual credit report from Experian, TransUnion & Equifax at anualcreditreport.com. Bankruptcy discharges can be denied or revoked if you fail to keep important records .
Cartwright Law Firm
Cartwright Law Firm | Andrea Cartwight
It is very important to keep good financial records if you are contemplating in filing for bankruptcy. It will make the bankruptcy process go much smoother for you. You are required by law to list every creditor that you owe. If you have not know all your creditors, I would recommend that you start by pulling your creditor reports. There are three major bureaus: Experian, Equifax & Transunion. This would be a good starting point. This is the only website that you can go to to obtain a free creditor report. In addition, you need to start keeping any and all letters/info you receive in the mail from your creditors. Get yourself a folder and start putting everything in the folder to take to your bankruptcy attorney because the more organized you are when you see the attorney the sooner your case can be filed.
    The law requires you to list all of your debts. Start with a credit report. Most companies can be found on the Internet now. Do the best you can.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    No
    Lewis Adams and Associates
    Lewis Adams and Associates | Lewis P. Adams
    The Bankruptcy Code requires that you disclose all of your assets and all of your creditors. It is up to you to provide the information necessary to complete the petition, statements and schedules. However, our office will obtain copies of all three of your creditor reports to assist in filling in the blanks. Unfortunely, not all creditors report to the credit bureaus and the list may be incomplete by itself. If you fail to disclose a creditor, that creditor may not be affected by the discharge.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    An good attorney will guide you on gathering financial records.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    You must use due diligence in listing ALL your creditors. I use a 3 bureau credit report
    Financial Relief Law Center
    Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
    You can't really pick and choose the creditors you want to include in the bankruptcy. When you file ch. 7, you are getting a discharge on your unsecured debt, so you should list all of your creditors. The best way to get this information is to pull a 3 bureau credit report with the creditors contact. All creditors listed on the petition will receive a discharge. If you wish to pay a certain creditor after the discharge, even though you no longer have the legal obligation to pay them, that is up to you.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    The bankruptcy lawyer will pull a credit report for you and you can decide what to put in the bankruptcy and what not, make sure to get legal advice
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    You are legally obligated to list all creditors and all assets on your Petition. You may obtain the creditor information by getting your once-yearly free three agency credit report.
    When you file for bankruptcy you must list all assets and all debts. If you do not have a record of your debts obtain a credit report for that purpose. You aren't required to have information you no longer possess but you must comply with the disclosure requirements of the bankruptcy law.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Yes, you must list all creditors. You can name creditors you're not sure of, and give an approximate amount due. You can also get your credit reports- but be sure they say they're the only free ones provided by the government.
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    Your financial records must be as complete as possible. You are obligated to list everyone you owe and everything you own. If you are unsure of who you owe, collect all your bills for a couple of months. That will give you a start. Then you can get a credit report, or your attorney can order one as part of preparing your bankruptcy filing.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    You have to list all creditors in a bankruptcy. Otherwise it is considered fraud.
    Everett Walton, Attorney at Law
    Everett Walton, Attorney at Law | Everett Walton
    You must list all creditors. You can obtain the information for creditors who report to credit reporting agencies by obtaining a credit report.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Law Offices of Lawrence J. Marraffino, P.A.
    Law Offices of Lawrence J. Marraffino, P.A. | Lawrence J. Marraffino
    Not having all the creditor information is not a problem. We can get that information from a credit report. Usually, all other necessary information can be recreated as well.
    First of all, do NOT file without a lawyer. Bankruptcy is not a pro se project even for the well-prepared, and your question says you are far from that. Second, it is a crime, perjury, not to list ALL your debts and assets. If you file with incomplete creditor information, in a best case scenario, you will owe debts that you shouldn't owe. It is also possible that your discharge will be completely denied. And, depending on the severity of your omissions, you may face criminal charges of up to 5 years in prison and enormous fines. You need complete records. An attorney can often suggest ways to can find missing information and will be very helpful. Retain one ASAP.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    Yes, it is needed. Pull a free credit report.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    You're required to list everything, period. All your assets, all your debts. If necessary, get a copy if your credit report.
    You are legally obligated to include All creditors you know of. If you do not have a complete list, you can request a credit report. You are entitled to a free credit report every year and can request it that way and not have to pay.