Can I file for bankruptcy if I am only 18 years old? 24 Answers as of June 11, 2013

My parents don't help me with my bills. I am completely independent. I pay for my own rent, bills, car payments etc. Can I file for bankruptcy at this age? I don't know what my other options are here.

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You can file bankruptcy at age 18, but I would questions as to what you have incurred already that would require you to need the assistance/ protection of the bankruptcy code. Do you have medical, credit card or other unsecured debt such as utility bills that have gone unpaid? Are you working? I would suggest contacting an attorney who can do an initial consultation for you to explore what options are have. There isn't a rule stopping you from filing bankruptcy at this age, but it's important to make sure you have explored all of your options first, which may include debt settlement, but that would require you to have funds to settle your debt. You may want to also consider debt consolidation, but of course, all of these options will depend on what your overall situation is and how much debt/ income you have to work with.
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Yes but you may want to consider other options because you are so young. You will need your credit to get a car loan, house, student loans in the future.
Lehn Law, PA
Lehn Law, PA | Joseph W. Lehn
At 18 years old you can file for bankruptcy.
    Joseph Lehn, Esq
    Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    It is hard to believe that at 18 you have bills sufficient to warrant filing for bankruptcy. You can't legally sign a contract until you are 18 years old. I suggest you see a lawyer (free consultation) about your situation. Technically, yes you can file, but how in the world did you get in debt at your age?
    Clayton Law Offices | Rose Clayton
    Yes, you can file for bankruptcy at age 18. A filing will remain on your credit report for up to 10 years and you will not be able to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy again for 8 years. If your debt is substantial, then bankruptcy may be a good option. After you file, it will take you about 2 years to rebuild your credit. If you want to keep your car, your car payment won't be affected by the filing. You will keep paying the car payment. You will also keep paying your everyday bills (rent, insurance, etc), only the unsecured debt (credit cards, personal loans, medical bills, etc) will be discharged in the bankruptcy.
    Bankruptcy Law Center
    Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
    Yes. With credit so easily available, it is possible to get buried in debt at eighteen years of age.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Yes you certainly may.
    It is almost impossible that an 18 year old will have actual debts sufficient to file, and you could not incur any until you were 18. But if you do, see a bankruptcy lawyer. 18 year olds can file in all but two states.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Yes, you can file but how much debt could an 18 year old accumulate? You have been an adult and legally competent to accumulate debt for less than 1 year. I advise that you seek the advice of an attorney. Most will give free consultation.
    Once you become 18 years of age you are an adult so you can file for bankruptcy like like any other adult.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    You can file for bankrutpcy protection at age 18. Whether it makes sense to do so will depend on what type and amount of debt you have.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Why not? The requirements are that you have debt you can't pay, that income is less than expenses, and that you have nothing to sell to pay creditors (or if you do, that you don't care).