Can I file for bankruptcy given our situation? 21 Answers as of July 17, 2013

Due to job loss and underemployment we are about to have a mobile home repossessed along with about $30,000.00 in credit card debt and our debt is over a $1,000.00 dollars more a month than we bring in not counting food, gas etc.

Law Office of Susan G. Taylor
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor | Susan G. Taylor
Sounds like bankruptcy is a good option for you at this time.
Jakob-Barnes Law Firm, LLC
Jakob-Barnes Law Firm, LLC | Jennifer Jakob-Barnes
There are a lot of factors that go into determining whether bankruptcy is a good option. I would suggest meeting with an experienced attorney.
Yes, it appears bankruptcy may be an option.
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
You MIGHT be able to save the mobile home in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy by paying the arrearage (past due payments) through the Plan, if you have enough DMI (disposable monthly income) to support a confirmable plan. You need to act IMMEDIATELY and don't wait until the home is sold at foreclosure because a bankruptcy can't help you save the home AFTER its been sold at foreclosure. You can still get rid of the credit card debt, too.*
Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
You're probably eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which can wipe out your unsecured debt. See a bankruptcy lawyer.
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    First of all, I am sorry to hear of your situation, though you certainly are not alone in these troubled times. As for whether or not you can file for bankruptcy protection and (perhaps more importantly) whether it is advisable that you do, it depends. If you meet the eligibility requirements, it seems from your detail statement that you are probably referring to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (though Chapter 13 may also be an option depending on some other factors not indicated). The quick and simple answer is that you can likely file for bankruptcy. The more difficult question to answer is whether or not you should. I offer free initial consultations to prospective clients in the area in which we can sit down together, review your situation in more detail, and determine the best course of action for your needs.
    La Office of William H. Von Willer | William H. Von Willer
    There is a possibility that you could file, however, a lot of other information is necessary before a good answer can be given. When deciding on bankruptcy all of your assets, all of your debts, your income, and expenses all have a part to play. You need to speak with a bankruptcy practitioner and provide the information to that person.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    You are probably a good candidate for bankruptcy.
    It sounds like you would qualify, but remember the bankruptcy will temporarily stop the repossession but once your bankruptcy is complete, they can repo again or they can file a motion during the bankruptcy to repo.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Yes you certainly can file bankruptcy in your situation! Whether it will help you save your mobile home or not depends on your circumstances.
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks | Terrell Monks
    It does sound like you will qualify for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy unless there is someone in the household with substantial income. If you want to call with your income and household size, I will help you determine whether you can qualify. The initial income information I need is the gross (no deductions for taxes etc) income from all sources for the 6 months prior to filing. Terrell.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You can read the pamphlet about chapter 7 bankruptcy which is available for download at my website.
    Law Office of Norman Moore
    Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
    Given your situation, I think it makes sense to consider filing for bankruptcy. Whenever your expenses outrun your income, trouble is coming. Bankruptcy can put you back on track by eliminating medical and credit card debt (among others).
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C. | Ken Parker
    You may be the perfect candidate to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy case.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    As a NJ attorney, I believe that you would qualify. More details would have to be given to determine.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    You can but if you want to keep the home what income will you have?
    Yes, it does sound as if you should be considering bankruptcy as an option to end you're out of control debt. You may also be able to avoid the repossession, or at least delay it for some time. Please call me to discuss your options and strategize how you can end the downward debt spiral.
    Absolutely. Bankruptcy is an option designed for precisely your type of situation. You need to have a consult with a qualified bankruptcy attorney in your State for more details.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    Yes. talk to a lawyer.
    Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC
    Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC | Roxanne Eberle
    It certainly sounds like you would qualify for bankruptcy relief, based on your income and your debts. Whether or not it could save your mobile home from repossession would need to be explored with more specific facts by an attorney.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    Yes, you should be eligible for bankruptcy.