Can I file for bankruptcy and where can I find a bankruptcy attorney? 28 Answers as of May 16, 2013

I have lost everything in a divorce and feel I need to file bankruptcy to get on with my life.

Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
Search online or look in the phonebook.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Yes. Do your homework online in searching for a good bankruptcy attorney, not necessarily a cheap one. If you go cheap, you get what you pay for.
Orrock, Popka, Fortino, Tucker & Dolen
Orrock, Popka, Fortino, Tucker & Dolen | Myron Wayne Tucker
You can find bankruptcy attorneys on the internet, lawyer referral services, ask your friends.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
Please understand that bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
There are an abundance of bankruptcy lawyers in Illinois. We can certainly help you.
    You can find a bankruptcy attorney on this site or you can locate a number of attorneys via the internet.
    Look at the NACBA (National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys) web site. You can find one there.
    Law Offices of A. J. Mitchell, LLC
    Law Offices of A. J. Mitchell, LLC | A. J. Mitchell
    Yes, you can file bankruptcy, assuming of course that you otherwise qualify. Would like to get more information from you in order to give you the best bankruptcy advice for your situation.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    Bankruptcy cases are filed with the local District Bankruptcy court. Referrals from friends and family members is a good way to find a lawyer; however, many people hide the fact that they have filed.
    Whether someone is eligible to file bankruptcy or not depends on a comprehensive analysis of their financial circumstances. If you think of bankruptcy as being your lifeline, you certainly don't want to use it up unless you have no other options. Bankruptcy is a pretty common area of legal specialization and I would suggest searching online and looking at client reviews to help you to decide what attorney you may wish to consult with.
    Conner Law Offices
    Conner Law Offices | Melissa Conner
    There are a lot of places where you can look. You can contact your state or local bar association for a referral. Some credit consolidation companies will refer you to bankruptcy attorneys. Some law schools keep tabs on their graduates and can direct you to an attorney. You can search online, and look at the websites for local lawyers to choose who you like. They should be giving you free initial consultations, so you'll be able to check them out first for yourself.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    You certainty sound as if you would be a good bankruptcy candidate.
    Law Offices Of Raymond H. Aver, APC | Raymond H. Aver
    Based upon the rather limited facts you have provided, there does not appear to be any reason why you should not be eligible for bankruptcy relief. To find a competent bankruptcy attorney, I would check with the California State Bar which, I believe, maintains a list of Certified Bankruptcy Specialists.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Many different sites. You can look at total attorneys or do a search online in your area
    Shur Law Co., LPA
    Shur Law Co., LPA | Tonya VanBenschoten
    There are several options. You can do an internet search in your area, your local bar association, or phone book to name a few. Several attorney's offer free initial consultations.
    Heineman Law Office
    Heineman Law Office | Jeff Heineman
    Unless you have recently filed for a bankruptcy or you are disqualified for some odd reason, you can file a bankruptcy now.
    Weber & Phillips, P.A.
    Weber & Phillips, P.A. | John G. Phillips
    You should be able to do a google search for "bankruptcy attorney ________________" with the blank being the city or area in which you live and find several. Many State Bar Associations keep lists of attorneys in certain practice fields as well. You can also find many in the yellow pages. Unless you live in a very remote area, I'm sure you can find several and pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    You almost certainly can file for bankruptcy, unless you have already done so in recent years. You can find an attorney by looking through answers to questions posted by attorneys in your location. You can ask for recommendations from people you know, or review online reviews or other tools to find an attorney to speak with. My advice is not to use cost as your primary or only way of selecting someone to work with. In very real ways, you often get exactly what you pay for in the way of expertise, attention, and experience.
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    Anyone can technically file for bankruptcy. However, you will want to make sure a bankruptcy will be in your best interests. Bankruptcy is not always a fix. Ask around to your friends and find out if anyone has filed bankruptcy. Usually you can get referrals for a good attorney that way. You can always open the phone book and find a long list, but interview your attorneys to make sure they are the person you want handling your financial fresh start.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Assuming that you haven't filed before and there is nothing in your divorce judgment that prevents you from filing, yes you can file bankruptcy. Ask friends who they used and liked or look on the internet and look at the reviews bankruptcy attorneys in your area have gotten to find a good one. You can also call your local bar association and ask for a recommendation.
    You indeed need a bankruptcy consultation
    Robert Russell Law Group
    Robert Russell Law Group | Robert Russell
    Well, that is an extremely broad question. Generally, few people are prohibited from filing. Google a good lawyer in your area and they will give you the details.