Can I file for an appeal for the court to have a hearing and remove my first offense petty theft record? 13 Answers as of April 23, 2013

I was given 3 years informal probation, a misdemeanor 2 years ago. I can't find work due to this. I have never been in trouble before or after this.

LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
If you were given an SIS (suspended imposition of sentence) and probation for a petty theft charge, then if you didn't violate the probation, there was no conviction. Only arrests and convictions appear on criminal records. If you received an SES (suspended execution of sentence), then there was a conviction entered on your criminal record. There is no way to get a theft conviction expunged from your criminal record.
It's probably too late to file an appeal, but you may be able to file a motion for early termination of probation and then expunge your conviction.
In Michigan you have to wait 5 years before you can get the matter expunged. This is the trap that people who steal and go in and plead guilty fall into. if you had an attorney maybe a deal could have been worked out for no record. You have learned the hard way that employers do not want to hire a thief.
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
Why don't you file to have it expunged in the court where you were convicted?
You need to complete your probation before any charge can be expunged.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    You may seal the record.
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Michigan law allows a person with one and only one conviction to apply for expungement of that conviction after 5 years. This is commonly known as a motion to set aside a conviction. If after 5 years from the date of your conviction you have had no other incidents with law enforcement then you are eligible to apply for expungement.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    If you're in California, you can bring a motion for early termination of probation. If that motion is granted, you can then have the case dismissed under PC 1203.4. I would recommend having an attorney help you with this. You should either contact the lawyer that represented you when you were placed on probation, or hire one that you like.
    You can move to set the matter aside or seek a pardon.
    If this probation resulted in an non-expungeable conviction, you cannot get it expunged from your record. If it was expungeable, you could get it erased. You should check with the Clerk of Court in the county where the case was handled, and find out if you qualify for an expungement, or a seal on your record, which would prevent prospective employers from finding out about the case. Seals are generally granted in these types of cases, check it out.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Federal appeals must be filed within 14 days of sentencing, and Maryland appeals must be filed within 30 days of sentencing. If you are still serving the sentence, including probation, then you might petition for post conviction relief if the matter is a state conviction in Maryland. If you are no longer serving the sentence, but you are still experiencing negative consequences of conviction, then you might be able to petition for a direct of error Coram Nobis.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    Unfortunately, you cannot get a criminal conviction of a misdemeanor removed or "expunged" from your record in New York State. You can only ask that a court "seal" your criminal record, but you may only get this done if you were considered a juvenile delinquent or youthful offender when you were convicted of the crime. Outside of these instances, there is no way under New York law that you can get your criminal conviction removed from your record.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Unfortunately, you were convicted of a misdemeanor. You will never be able to eliminate this from your record.