Can I file for alimony after being married 26yrs? 5 Answers as of July 07, 2011

Husband has tsp and retirement thur PO. I was a stay at home mom for 13 yrs. He says I shouldn’t get any alimony because I work full time now.

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Alimony is based on need and ability to pay. If you have the need, and he has the ability to pay, with that length of a marriage, the answer would most likely be yes, you can get alimony. More information would be needed in order to determine the answer more fully.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Yes, but you must show a need and he must have an ability to pay.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
A 26 year marriage is a long term marriage which comes with a presumption of alimony. The question becomes how much more money does he receive. If the difference is significant, you may receive alimony. Of course, this is after reducing what he is getting in retirement by the portion that you may be entitled to through equitable distribution of all retirement accounts or any portion that was put in during the course of the marriage. I suggest you consult a local Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.