Can I file a domestic violence report months later? 8 Answers as of May 16, 2013

My ex was verbally and physically abusive. He threatened to kill me, pointed a gun in my face, jabbed me in the stomach with a blunt object, and slapped me around. I've been afraid to talk about it up until now and the last time we spoke, which was 2 months ago, he spoke to me in a way that made me feel threatened again. A friend suggested I report it, I do not wish to press charges or file a restraining order. I believe my ex suffers from a mental illness, such as bipolar disorder and I think he may end up hurting himself or someone else during an episode. I think he may also be a 51/50. Is there any way I can get him checked out? Maybe a welfare check done on him? I really don't want him hurting anyone else.

Yes you can still make a report. Just go and talk to the police about it all.
IT Forensics, Inc.
IT Forensics, Inc. | Christopher K. Steuart
You can file a report any time you want to, but the longer you wait the less likely it is that the police or a prosecutor will take it seriously.
You can, and probably should, contact authorities. Failure to do so will only result in the continuance of our personal concerns. It is also, these days, probably the only way you might be able to see hee hets some help.
Criminal Trial Strategies, LLC | James N. Turner
Yes, you can. The credibility will be more open to challenge because of the delay, but you can still make a police report and ask that he be charged.
You should file a report with the police, even if time has passed, and indicate to them what information you have concerning the man. ?If they cannot aid you, you should report it to a social welfare agency in your area, they may be able to help you. ?You may have no choice but to lodge charges against him, however.
    No one can help you until you determine to help yourself.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    Misdemeanor crimes can be reported and prosecuted within a two year Statute of Limitations. If there are felony charges, it can be up to five years. Although the police will likely ask for an explanation of the reason for delay. Understand though that by reporting the incident he will be arrested and prosecuted. While you may not want to press charges, the decision will now be in the hands of the State of New York as to what extent the charges are prosecuted. Also a judge will likely issue an order of protection ordering your ex to have no contact with you whether you request one or not.
    Loren Lambert
    Loren Lambert | Loren Lambert