Can I file a damage suit in the US against these persons if I live in India and take care of Indian operations? 2 Answers as of July 29, 2016

I am employed by a church organization in the US. A group of people who live in the US write to my employer with false information and spreading lies against me without any proof. They thus damage my reputation and I am under mental stress.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
You can probably sue them in the state in which they live, but to be sure, you should contact a lawyer in that state who has experience with the libel/slander/defamation laws in that state.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2016
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Yes, you can because you can sue where the defendants live. If the church has no presence in California, it will very difficult to serve them and you might have to file in Federal Court. The problem will be that if the matter went to trial, you probably would have to present some Indian witnesses as to your damages. The defense will assume you will not pay for nor get Indians to come to the US, so you will not be able to prove your damages. Therefore, they will only consider what the damage to your reputation are in California.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/29/2016
Click to View More Answers: