Can I file citizenship for my mother who is in another state without papers? 4 Answers as of April 20, 2011

I got my green card about 18 months ago. Can I file citizenship for my mother who is in another state without papers?

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your mother must have five years of legal residency before she can apply for citizenship. Adults have to petition for citizenship themselves.
No, you can't. You have to wait for you to get citizenship to sponsor your Mom. If your Mom does not have papers, she won't be able to adjust status in the country.
I think you mean green card not citizenship. You are not a citizen yourself, you are a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident). Yes you can file an I-130 for your mother and wait until the petition is approved and then again wait until the visa becomes available. But she is going to have to go back to her country of origin in order to process her paperwork unless she has protection under section 245i of the Immigration & Nationality Act (INA). Good luck!
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No you can't, not until you become a citizen.