Can I file charges against someone who has included me as a creditor on her chapter 7 bankruptcy? 26 Answers as of July 10, 2013

Can I file a criminal warrant against someone who has included me as a creditor on her chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Dan Shay Law
Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
No, unless there is some sort of theft. Breach of contract and BK are civil matters.
Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy
Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy | David Leibowitz
No.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
No you cannot file criminal charges for that.
Criminal charges are not stayed by a bankruptcy.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
Does she owe you money? Did she steal it? Bankruptcy is a protection against creditors, so you're probably out of luck.
    Law Office of Dennis Jay Sargent Jr, PLLC
    Law Office of Dennis Jay Sargent Jr, PLLC | Dennis J Sargent Jr.
    Why would you want to? If the information is correct that what basis would you have to file criminal charges against that person. You being listed as creditor is only to protect the debtor from future collection actions by you.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    No, there is no such recourse.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    It depends. Is what she did a violation of criminal law? It would very unusual for someone, absent them committing really serious fraud or perjury, to end up in jail for merely including someone on their bankruptcy list. You can object if you don't think your debt is dischargeable, but generally all that means is that if the judge agrees with, that she still has to pay you even though she filed bankruptcy. I would definitely advise seeing a lawyer who does bankruptcy representing creditors and see what is the best action for you to take.
    If they have committed a crime, the District Attorney can file criminal charges against them. I'm not sure what your question is. If you're asking whether listing you as a creditor is a crime, the answer is no.
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
    The automatic stay created by a bankruptcy filing does not stop the filing of criminal charges by governmental authorities. You are free to complain to the appropriate governmental authorities, but you do not have the legal authority to "file a criminal warrant."
    No. It has to be a crime. It is not.
    Law Office of J. Scott Logan, LLC
    Law Office of J. Scott Logan, LLC | John Scott Logan
    Criminal warrants are issued by the state. Do you have authority to file a criminal warrant? You can press charges for a crime if an actual crime has occurred. However, you should be careful. Efforts to collect a debt violate the automatic stay and can result in significant monetary liability.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    In general, if you have probable cause to believe a crime has been committed, you can report the crime even if you are a creditor in the Defendant's bankruptcy case. You may want to discuss the specific details with an attorney before you proceed.
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    A bankruptcy does not shield a debtor from criminal charges. Certain liabilities that arise from criminal activity may be non-dischargeable. But it is no crime to include a regular debt in a bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Eric Ridley
    Law Office of Eric Ridley | Eric Ridley
    Criminal charges are only filed by the State, through a County or District Attorney's office. If you have some reason to believe that the debt is not dischargeable, you may file an adversary proceeding through the bankruptcy court. This is complicated, and I most strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to do this for you.
    No. Debtors are required by law to list ALL of their debts.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    Only the State can file criminal charges against anyone.
    No..... why would you care? That person may think he/she owes you money and may be mistaken about it. If you have some concerns you may contact the Chapter 7 trustee but it is not a criminal matter.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    I am not sure I understand your question. First, if a person owes you money and files bankruptcy they must list you as a creditor, or they are in jeopardy for lying on the bankruptcy petition. Second, any document filed in a court of law is absolutely privileged, meaning that you cannot sue a person or take any other action against them regardless of what they have said in the document.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Either go to the police for charges and see if they're interested or file an adversary in the bankruptcy court under 523.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    First, you don't file a criminal warrant, you'd refer the case to the U.S. Department of Justice who may or may not investigate. However, and this is important - you better have some evidence of criminal wrong doing - the simple fact that he owes you money he didn't pay you is not enough, as he has a DUTY to list you and every other debt he has. So before you go off half-cocked, make sure you have something here, or you could find yourself in a nasty position.
    What crime did they commit by listing you as a creditor?
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    No. Bankruptcy is a legal thing to do.
    Generally no, unless you want to end up in contempt of court and writing big checks to them. Without detailed facts as to why you want a warrant and whether it is related to debt collection, a full answer is impossible, and since you are listed as a creditor, you have to get a lawyer. Do not do anything without one.
    Law Office of Nanina Takla
    Law Office of Nanina Takla | Nanina Takla
    If this person owes money to you, then she is required to list all her creditors in her bankruptcy, including you.