Can I file chapter 7 on a promissory note with my ex-wife? 11 Answers as of March 22, 2016

The note is in our divorce decree. It is not for child or spousal support. It is for a loan she made to me for business expenses.

Yes, Chapter 7 discharges debts from divorce decrees except support obligations
That is dischargeable.
Maybe and maybe not. Meet with an experienced BK lawyer. Offer to pay their hourly rate for a one hour meeting ($250 to $350). Bring the entire divorce file (compare your file with the court file before the meeting. If anything is missing from your file, you won't be getting accurate advice). Now is not the time to skimp. Good luck.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
If the note is part of your divorce decree it won't be discharged in a chapter 7. You'd need to file a chapter 13. Child and spousal support aren't discharged in any chapter and must be paid.
You can file bankruptcy on the note, but whether the note gets discharged depends on a lot of information about the note I do not have, including how it was handled in the divorce.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You can try, but you should expect a challenge from your ex-wife that could involve a lot of extra time and expense. She could beat you in a chapter 7 case. Sometimes it is better to file a chapter 13 so that there is a possibility that she will get some of the money (through your plan payments) and then it would be less likely that she would challenge the discharge, and you would be more likely to prevail against a challenge.
    The question is not entirely clear. Is the promissory note one which you and your wife have both signed? If so and if no divorce court has assigned the obligation to one or the other of you, then you can probably discharge it. Your wife would still be liable unless the two of you filed a joint bankruptcy. If on the other hand you owe the debt to your wife, then it would be much 'iffier' as to whether you could discharge it r not. Find a skilled bankruptcy lawyer. It's generally worth it. Good Luck.
    CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW
    CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW | Carl C Silver
    Only in a chapter 13.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    No, but you can file chapter 13. You need to speak to an experienced attorney.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    A chapter 7 does not discharge obligations arising from a divorce decree. However a chapter 13 will do so but only after completing the required plan payments.
    The issue is not about whether you CAN file but whether you CAN DISCHARGE this debt. Based on the information you provided, it appears likely you can discharge. As always, the devil my be in details you have not provided.