Can I file chapter 13 or will it help my court fines which are in two states? 7 Answers as of September 26, 2016

I owe over $20,000 in court fines. I'm wanting to consolidate them into one payment. Is there any way I can do this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
You can do that in a Ch13. See local counsel so it done right.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/26/2016
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
As a nondischargeable debt, criminal fines can be paid in a Chapter 13, but only under certain conditions.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 9/26/2016
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
They are not dischargeable in a BK. But you can do a Chapter 13, and pay those fines over 36 to 60 months.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/23/2016
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
Yes, a chapter 13 is a good way to manage paying those fines. But it will cost you more money, between the attorney fees and the trustee taking a percentage of every payment. Therefore, it makes more economic sense if you have other debt you can discharge in the bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 9/23/2016
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
You could do this by filing Chapter 13, but it might be a lot less expensive to borrow the money to repay these fines. Chapter 13 comes with a lot of fees that can substantially increase the cost to you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/23/2016
Click to View More Answers: