Can I file a case for defamation if I am being falsely accused at work? 9 Answers as of February 24, 2014

I am a recruiter. One of the officers of my client company blames me for religion based recruitment by a mail to his boss but he is not right. May I file a case against him for defamation?

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you have suffered monetary damages damages. Defamation is extremely hard to prove.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
How have you been harmed or injured? What damages will you be able to prove?
If you have about $7000 to pay an attorney you can.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
yes, you may sue any one for any thing, even a frivolous or false reason. No one will stop you from filing a suit. But will you win. Likely not. You will be required to prove actual damages, no speculative damages, no wounded feelings, etc. The law does not address every wrong that we may feel in life.
Have you been damaged? Is it a lie? Can you take care of it by explaining the situation? Does the person you want to sue have enough money to make it worthwhile? A lot of people think immediately of suing and it is not always the right answer. Perhaps you need to explain to the person making the complaint why he is wrong.
    Terrell Law Office L.L.C
    Terrell Law Office L.L.C | Joshua T. Terrell
    Dear Recruiter, It is possible to have a case for defamation under your circumstances but you would first have to be fired (loss of money = damages) and then prove that the falsehood was the sole reason for the termination AND prove that you were in fact NOT recruiting based on religion. I believe you would have to show all of those elements to have a chance to recover on a defamation claim. I hope this helps.
    Law Offices of Richard Baker | Richard Baker
    Defamation is legally defined as the "holding up of a person to ridicule, scorn or contempt in a respectable and considerable part of the community to the damage of the reputation of another." Since his opinion is only limited to an audience of one (or perhaps all the officers within the corporation) it cannot be said that the statements are to a considerable part of the community, so the statements do no legally qualify as defamatory, without considering whether the statements are meant to ridicule, scorn or lower your reputation in the community.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Perhaps. But you would need to prove intentional or negligent false statements of fact. Negative opinions are not actionable. And you have to prove actual economic harm. You would need to retain legal counsel and in so doing, be prepared to pay legal fees. It can cost thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars to pursue cases like this
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Defamation claims in employment typically are a worker's compensation claim.