Can I file bankruptcy under chapter 7 if I have no job? 18 Answers as of March 26, 2012

My husband have a part time job and I used to sell jewelries to my close friends to help our household expenses. I didn't pay my taxes because I don't earn much money. My ex husband is threatening me to report to irs for not paying taxes? What will I do?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You can file without a job. Contact a local attorney for specifics.
J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
Bankruptcy won't protect you from tax fraud. The best advice would be to file amended tax returns for those years now and pay any penalties and interest.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You can file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy with or without employment.
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
Yes, you can file a chapter 7.
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon | Jeffrey Solomon
You are allowed to file bankruptcy with no job, but you also must disclose your income.
    Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
    You should probably file bankruptcy and get out of debt. Then file updated and correct tax returns. If your ex-husband continues to threaten you (via blackmail), call the police.
    Unpaid taxes where you did not file are NOT dischargeable in bankruptcy.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    File your bankruptcy. See where the chips fall. It may be unlikely that you had sufficient income to file a tax return. How would he know what you earned?
    Walden & Pfannenstiel, LLC : Kansas City Bankrutpcy Attorneys
    Walden & Pfannenstiel, LLC : Kansas City Bankrutpcy Attorneys | Malissa L. Walden
    You do not have to have a job to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. You will need to have filed your taxes, assuming you are a required filer, prior to your Bankruptcy case being filed.
    Amend the tax returns. Then he has nothing to "report."
    Law Offices of David H. Relkin
    Law Offices of David H. Relkin | David H. Relkin
    Chapter 7 is the only option if you have no income, a Chapter 13 requires you to make an arrangement with your creditors based on your income. Threats like the ones you mention aren't real, nor in my experience are they taken seriously by the IRS. Given your marital difficulties, however, which I am inferring from your description of the relationship, you would be filing separately without him involved. If you are separated, wouldn't he be paying you money? In any case, Chapter 7 is for you and if there is no business now and nothing in inventory, so to speak, there's nothing to talk about. The issue however, under the Bankruptcy Code is your present earnings, so that whole issue is really behind you. You will be able to keep certain items of a personal nature; the only issue is whether you really have to file. I am not getting your reason from your post.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    You can file a bankruptcy if you are unemployed. You wouldn't be able to discharge taxes unless they are three years old and you fall within the other qualifications as required under the code. I would recommend speaking with a local, experienced bankruptcy attorney. Most offer free consultations and would be happy to go over your options with you.
    You can file for bankruptcy if you needed. I am not sure why your ex is planning on reporting you, it seems like you did not earn a lot of money and either would not owe taxes or maybe you are under the amount for which you would be required to file a return. But to file for chapter 7 you don't need a job. That is one of the reasons why many people file.
    Albert Law Group
    Albert Law Group | Alvin S. Albert
    Yes, you can file Chapter 7 bankruptcy without a job. It is quite common since many people are driven to Chapter 7 due to loss of employment.
    You can file amended tax returns and if you did not make much then you should not have to pay. You can still file chapter 7 if you are not working.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    You do not need a job to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. As for the tax issue in your question, you should talk to a tax professional about that.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    If your income is under 9k a year, you do not have to file taxes. If he reports you and the IRS determines that you owe taxes, not even bankruptcy will help you, as taxes owed to them within 3 years of filing bankruptcy is not dischargeable.
    You do not have to have a job to file bankruptcy. If you did not have sufficient income to file a tax return, then you do not have to file a return. If you do have income to the level there is tax due, then you need to file a return. If you are looking to have taxes discharged in a bankruptcy, you cannot get rid of taxes where you have not filed a return and also cannot get rid of taxes within the past three years (2008 and forward) even if you have filed a return.