Can I file bankruptcy on a civil lawsuit from an insurance company? 11 Answers as of May 23, 2016

I have been sued by an insurance company because I sold a car to a man that I was taking the car to and was hit by another car on the way. I never had insurance nor tags. Now I am being sued for $89,000. They have been garnishing my payroll check for 3 years now for almost $300 a payday. I’m barely bringing home $420 every two weeks and I pay $400 alone in just rent and that’s not including my utilities. I can’t even afford to buy a car after mine tore up. Plus I’m a sick woman who has had lung cancer and can barely breathe as it is but I have to work because I’m divorced and live alone. I don’t have anyone to help me pay my bills. I’m a nursing assistant and that isn’t an easy job. I don’t know how much longer I can hang on.

Yes, you can file on that.
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
Yes and you can.
So I cannot figure out why you have waited for 3 years to seek legal help. This is exactly the type of debt that bankruptcy can and does discharge.
Do long as you were not intoxicated when the automobile accident took place, the debt should be dischargeable.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
Yes, you may file bk on a civil suit/judgment. S
    An attorney needs to look at the civil judgment. Assuming the judgment is NOT for fraud or some other intentional misrepresentation, you are probably going to be able to discharge the judgment. A definitive answer can not be giving without looking at that civil judgment.
    Bankruptcy should discharge that debt as long as drinking was not involved in the accident.
    As long as there was no criminal element, yes, you can get rid of the debt via BK.
    Generally, liability from a civil lawsuit from a vehicle accident is dischargeable in bankruptcy.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    You may absolutely file bankruptcy and wipe out that debt. As long as that debt wasn't procured by fraud (and from the facts given, that definitely is not the case), you may discharge that debt. Probably should have done so some time ago, but then every bankruptcy client can say that, so don't kick yourself in the behind. Do what you have to do, discharge this, and regain some quality of life, because this stress is NOT helping you.
    Bunch & Brock, Attorneys-at-Law
    Bunch & Brock, Attorneys-at-Law | W. Thomas Bunch II
    Yes, you can file bankruptcy. Probably should have a long time ago! Please talk to a lawyer before doing it.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky