Can I file bankruptcy in my name if the house is not in my name so that I can save it? 5 Answers as of September 29, 2015

I have been appointed administrator of my grandmother's estate over a year ago. I am also an inheritor of her house. The house has been in foreclosure for almost 2 years, now it is up for auction on the 22nd of this month. I am trying to save the house by filing bankruptcy. We are currently living in it. I had the house up for sale for almost a year, put $3,000 into minor repairs and upgrading kept it pristine and left this house 3 to 5 times a day 4 showings. I am literally going to be homeless with my daughter on this Tuesday and don't know where to turn. I have already been scammed by a man that works for the Compliance Office the United States federal Compliance Office. He wanted $575 to free the auction. He was a phony. I am in dire need of help and I can't find it anywhere. Would you please help me? Thank you so much

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
A bankruptcy in your name won't save the house from foreclosure. That would have required paying the mortgage over the past few years. You've lived there for free for over a year, did you really think that you are entitled to a free house forever? Hopefully, you've saved up a bit while you were on gravy train (as if!). Better get used to the idea of a monthly rent payment.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 9/29/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Yes, but the relief would be temporary, so you would have to move fast to get the loan current or work out a deal with the mortgage company and the estate.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/29/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
I very much sympathise with your situation. Judging from the facts you state, however, the question is stale since apparently the sheriff's sale took place. But your grandmother's rights in the house, under the law of Wisconsin, only end when the judge enters an order confirming the sale. That hearing is usually about ten days to four weeks after the sheriff sale. A personal bankruptcy will not likely help you, since the debt is not yours. A decedent's estate is generally limited to dealing with debts in probate. If you could solicit a serious offer on the property before the confirmation of sale, you could come in and ask for more time to sell the property before the sale is closed. Consult the estate's lawyer. If there is none, consult a skilled real estate lawyer WITHOUT DELAY. There are sometimes other grounds for opposing confirmation of sale. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/28/2015
Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
If the house is not in your name, I am sorry to tell you that you cannot put off sale by a bankruptcy filing. I have had a similar case, and if you don't hold title, the stay does not apply to the house.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 9/25/2015
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
If you inherited the house, it is yours and therefore the house would be part of the bankruptcy estate, which would stop the foreclosure sale. The problem is that the Chapter 7 Trustee may try to sell it, but it would give you some time.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 9/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: