Can I file bankruptcy if SSI is my only income? 8 Answers as of November 28, 2016

I have student loans, credit card debts and a few medical bills all in collections. How do I know what chapter to file? I have been trying to move because the home I live in is more than what I receive from SSI. My adult son pays the rest, but due to everything in collections, I get denied for a small affordable place. Will bankruptcy make it worse? I'm in desperate need of good advice.

CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW
CARL C SILVER ATTORNEY AT LAW | Carl C Silver
Although no one can touch your SSI income, filing chapter 7 will enhance your credit in the long run.
It can't get worse. File for bankruptcy and you might qualify to get the student loans discharged or reduced. See a lawyer who has experience in doing this. There will be a big up front cost for this.
It's not necessary to have any income to file bankruptcy - in Chapter 7; because Chapter 13 requires monthly payments, a regular monthly income is required to file a 13. Chapter 7 will improve your chance of getting a new apartment because it eliminates your debt.
Yes, although discharging student loans takes a separate complaint as part of the bankruptcy.
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
Well, one thing you need to understand is you might not need to file bankruptcy, for you are probably "judgment proof". If a creditor sues you and gets a judgment against you, they cannot garnish your SSI checks. The only entity that can take your SSI money is the Internal Revenue Service. If you don't have any expensive assets, then there is probably nothing your creditors can do to you, other than sending letters and calling your phone.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    If your only income is SSI, you are most likely eligible for chapter 7 which is the quickest and least expensive way to file for bankruptcy. You might even qualify for legal aid. If you can stay where you are for another 3 to 4 months, a bankruptcy discharge will make it easier for you to find another place. Try contacting legal aid first.
    Unfortunately, the information you provided does not tell me whether you would be a good candidate for bankruptcy or not. The fact that you have income from SSI does not provide much help. You might not need to file bankruptcy at all to avoid paying your debts. I would like to know whether your student loans are from the government insured programs as well as how much debt you have. You probably ought to sit down with a bankruptcy attorney before you move as a change in your living expenses might affect what benefits you are entitled to receive.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    I don't think bankruptcy will make it worse. Yes, you can file bankruptcy and it will eliminate everything except the student loans. You should call the student loan companies as they will likely cancel the student loans if you can document your disability.