Can I file bankruptcy if I owe $4500 for an apartment rent? 7 Answers as of January 25, 2017

I actually moved out but my then boyfriend stayed and didn’t pay rent. I left after 1 month. He stayed and didn’t pay rent. They are now hounding me for $4000. I am on financial aid and food stamps. I cannot afford to pay this. They cannot locate him. Am I responsible? I have a one year old child whose father does not pay child support hence the financial aid.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 1/25/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Yes, you can file bankruptcy on this.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
You are "judgment proof". Even if they sued you, they could not collect on the judgment. You should call the collection agency and tell them your financial situation. They normally do not want to sue someone when they have no ability to collect on the judgment.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/24/2017
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Since you're on financial aid and food stamps, it doesn't sound like you have any assets the apartment owner can collect and you only owe $4,000. I don't think bankruptcy is appropriate in your situation.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/24/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Bankruptcy would not appear to be an appropriate solution for you. If the landlord sues you to collect this debt, it does not appear that he will be able to collect it from you even with a court order. Just be sure you keep the financial aid money you receive in one account and any money you may receive in the future from child support in another account. The purpose of bankruptcy is to assist people who have an overwhelming amount of debt to obtain a fresh start. I do not believe bankruptcy is appropriate unless the amount of the debt which can be eliminated is over $20,000.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 1/24/2017
Click to View More Answers: