Can I file bankruptcy if I owe $4500 for an apartment rent? 7 Answers as of January 25, 2017

I actually moved out but my then boyfriend stayed and didn’t pay rent. I left after 1 month. He stayed and didn’t pay rent. They are now hounding me for $4000. I am on financial aid and food stamps. I cannot afford to pay this. They cannot locate him. Am I responsible? I have a one year old child whose father does not pay child support hence the financial aid.

Yes,
Yes, you can file bankruptcy on this.
You are "judgment proof". Even if they sued you, they could not collect on the judgment. You should call the collection agency and tell them your financial situation. They normally do not want to sue someone when they have no ability to collect on the judgment.
Since you're on financial aid and food stamps, it doesn't sound like you have any assets the apartment owner can collect and you only owe $4,000. I don't think bankruptcy is appropriate in your situation.
Bankruptcy would not appear to be an appropriate solution for you. If the landlord sues you to collect this debt, it does not appear that he will be able to collect it from you even with a court order. Just be sure you keep the financial aid money you receive in one account and any money you may receive in the future from child support in another account. The purpose of bankruptcy is to assist people who have an overwhelming amount of debt to obtain a fresh start. I do not believe bankruptcy is appropriate unless the amount of the debt which can be eliminated is over $20,000.