Can I file bankruptcy and get the automatic stay after a default judgement has been entered? 15 Answers as of August 25, 2015

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Yes you can.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/16/2015
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Yes (usually).
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 7/14/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
Sure, people file bankruptcy after losing a court proceeding all the time. And they may do so for benefits other than that of the automatic stay.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/14/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Yes, this done all the time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2015
Westbrook Law Firm, PLLC
Westbrook Law Firm, PLLC | Nicholas Westbrook
Yes. A default judgment simply means you owe the debt, and the Court has confirmed this through an official Court Order. You can still file for chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy and request a discharge on the underlying debt. Assuming there are no issues associated with the debt that would prohibit a discharge or prompt an adversary against you (such as fraud, misrepresentation, child support obligation, etc.), you can likely eliminate or reduce this debt through the bankruptcy process. If you reside in Houston or a surrounding area, please give us a call to discuss your situation in more detail. We help people file for bankruptcy in Texas.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/14/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney