Can I file an asylum application for myself? 2 Answers as of May 12, 2011

I am homosexual and I cannot get back to my home country in Kosovo, because some thugs persecuted me. When I complained to the police they didn't help me but it happens worse. They call me names and I don't have any other alternative just to live the country because my life was in danger from those thugs. I came here in US with b1/b2 visa. Can I file an asylum application to the homeland security by myself?

I do not recommend that you attempt to file asylum with out representation from an attorney. If you were persecuted, then you may have a strong claim. There are a lot of pro bono programs, in particular for gay applicants. Please call the state bar in your area or do an email search for gay asylum resources and this should lead you to a competent attorney who can assist you.
Yes, you may. If you are in Florida, you are welcome to contact us for assistance. =