Can I figure out estate planning alone? 6 Answers as of July 28, 2011

I dont have a lot of money to hire someone, but I also am not sure about everything I should include in my will. Is there a way to lower the costs of fees so that I can plan my will and know that I have all my assets covered?

Martinson & Beason, PC
Martinson & Beason, PC | Douglas C Martinson II
You should be able to get a simple will from an attorney for about $350 and some, like us will take payments. It could end up costing your heirs a lot more if you do a will yourself and do have it properly executed, notarized, waive bond and inventory.
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
If you do not have a lot of assets, a simple will may suffice. However, you should consult with an attorney to discuss your options.
Law Offices of Mark Lewis & Associates, PC
Law Offices of Mark Lewis & Associates, PC | Andrew C. Spitler
While you certainly can do it alone on estate planning, the downside can be tremendous if it not done properly. Those who would suffer the consequences of an error would be your heirs and relatives.
Law Office of Richard B. Kell
Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
You should at least have an estate planning attorney review your situation with you to determine your best course of action. Trying to skimp on professional assistance with estate planning can have serious negative implications down the road. Having said that, if you are interested in a free consultation and possibly having an attorney draft a Will for you at a very reasonable cost, please feel free to call my office. My fees are listed on my website's Pricing page; however, if money is extremely tight, there are ways to cut down the cost even further (such as skipping the in-person consultation and performing the formal execution yourself).
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
At the risk of sounding like a lawyer, I would caution you that the cost of having an attorney properly draft a will is going to be far less expensive then the cost of probate administration in the event there are any irregularities with your own document. With that in mind, many attorneys (like us) offer a free initial consultation - perhaps you could sit down with someone to review your own draft of the document. There are also websites that assist with "do it yourself" documents (e.g. Legalzoom); however, it is difficult for me to give advice about the strength of these documents in your particular case without more information.