Can I fight a custody battle if I am an adult? 1 Answers as of July 29, 2011

I am a 18 year old high school student living in New Philadelphia, Ohio. I recently moved from my family's home into my friend and her family's home. My friend and her family are currently receiving food stamps and medical cards. Her father attempted to put me on his case but where I would be receiving separate food stamps and/or medical card. At first, as my friends father told me, the welfare office gave an okay but then called back later and stated that because I was still in high school, my friend's father would not be able to keep me in the house or he would lose his food stamps and medical cards for the family, which they absolutely need. My friends father went on to tell me that either my family would have to give up rights to me, become a foster child and then my friends father could claim me. Does this sound right? If it is true then is there any way to fight it. I don't have the financial ability to be able to go to court either. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
The only thing that I can see that may be causing trouble is a divorce where one party is required to pay child support until age 18 or when the child graduates or leaves high school. See a local attorney for information about what you need to do.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: