Can I fight the citation? 7 Answers as of January 08, 2014

I was taking a friend home because it was below zero and snowing outside and she did not have a vehicle. A cop indirectly followed me (weaved in and out of streets) and pulled up next to me after I had parked and turned the truck off. He happened to know who I was, as I live in a smaller size town, and he ran my name through the system to see if I had a valid drivers license (which I don't) before he pulled up next to me. He didn't even flip his lights on. I had not committed a traffic violation, I just don't have a license. Is he allowed to do this? Can I fight this in court? I wasn't driving when he pulled up, my vehicle wasn't even on. I thought he couldn't give me a ticket without actually pulling me over?

The stop was legal. The charge is proper. Whether you can fight it in court from what you say, I don't give you much of a chance.
Wrong, if he observed you driving and you have no license you are the violator.
You cannot win. He has a right to check on your driving status.
He caught you breaking the law. You should not have been driving. He can cite you for this. It was not a sudden emergency, which is about the only defense to driving without a license.
Jefre S. Goldtrap
Jefre S. Goldtrap | Jefre S. Goldtrap
The officer will likely testify that he saw you driving and had recent and previous knowledge that your license was not valid. You can fight the citation but the officer will testify to the driving and the condition of your license is a matter of record.
    Driving without a license is a traffic offense. You have no defense. He does not need to turn on his blue lights. He pulled up next to you after you parked. So, he did not pull you over. He pulled next to you, confirmed it was you, and ran your name. You got caught. Sure you can fight, you just have nothing to fight with.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Driving without a license is a traffic violation. He doesn't need to pull you over to give you a ticket. You may still be able to negotiate for a better resolution to your case, but the challenges you discuss are not valid legal arguments.