Can I face sentencing for giving my ID away? 14 Answers as of October 12, 2010

One of my friends was caught with my ID after he was pulled over. The police officer pulled him over and saw beer in his back seat. He became suspicious when he saw from his real ID that he is not 21 and asked him how he got the beer. He said that he had a fake ID and the police officer charged him and took the ID away. I had given him the ID about 6 months ago to use because I turned 21. Could I face any charges for giving my ID to my underage friend?

You could be, just make certain you do not tell this to anyone else and do not talk to the police without an attorney.
Desert Defenders
Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
Yes, you can be charged with providing the ID to your friend for an unlawful purpose. But, if you don't admit to it, they may not be able to prove it. So, don't admit to it.
Criminal charges are unlikely. There are significant penalties for providing alcohol to a person under the age of 21. It is also a crime for a person to falsely present themselves as older than 21 for the purpose of acquiring alcohol. However, proving that they possessed a valid ID in your name with your consent would be difficult to prove. It also does not fall neatly under any criminal statutory provisions. For a consultation, please call me at the number listed.
Not really, unless you admit you did that, it is a crime. Do not talk to the police, and do not lie to them. Call me if they try to talk to you.
Yes, you could. You need to get a lawyer right away, so that all communications will be through your attorney. The last thing you want to do is start incriminating yourself.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Maybe. By giving your ID to another for the purpose of a crime, you are an aider and abettor. The question is whether they would have sufficient proof that you gave it to him voluntarily rather than him simply stealing it. I doubt they would charge you on the matter, but it is possible.
    Smith & John
    Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    You should really refrain from getting this specific online. If you are charged with a crime, do not try to talk to the police. Immediately invoke your right to remain silent and to counsel. Then call an attorney.
    Yes, you could face charges and they could charge you with a felony. You need to contact me as soon as you can so we can talk about the facts and determined the charges you could face.
    Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm
    Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm | Aly Ebrahimzadeh
    Quite possibly, as you were knowingly aiding somebody to violate the law. I handle such matters, so you can contact me for an initial consultation.
    Yes, and if you do, call me promptly. In the meantime, exercise your 5th Amendment right to be quiet and do not talk to anyone about this situation, police or otherwise.