Can I expunge a shoplifting charge? 11 Answers as of April 25, 2011

I was caught for shoplifting three years ago and served some time in jail. I was 19 years old. I am now applying for jobs and I do not want this on my record. What do I have to do to get it off? It was $300 worth of merchandise.

Yes. There are various procedures depending on the county. It would be best to try to get a free consultation with a good criminal lawyer who can explain specifically the options in your particular case.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
Yes you can absolutely "expunge" it from your record once you are off probation, under Penal Code section 1203.4. It is a fairly simple process of filling out a form and paying a small fee and the judge will sign off on it within weeks.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If you completed your probation successfully and did not get arrested again, we can certainly expunge your conviction. WE expeunge many convictions successfully.

Our office is very experienced in handling these matters. For more information or to be represented, please call.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Yes, you can expunge such a charge.
Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be expunged by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. If expunged, you would be able to say no to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction. If you are serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.
    Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
    Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
    A juvenile record can be sealed by Petition, which will probably be granted if you did not violate the terms of your Probation.

When you say that you served time in jail, did you mean Juvenile Hall or adult jail? That could also make a big difference in your Petition.

If you would like to talk about your case in more detail, please call my office.
    Was the conviction for a Petty Theft (Penal Code 484, or a Commercial burglary conviction? I am assuming it was a Petty Theft. There are some more specific questions I would need to ask you, but generally speaking, yes. I would be happy to assist you. Call me if you would like a free consultation to speak about what would be involved and what can be accomplished with an expungement. This can be done very affordably.
    Yes you can file for an expungment. It is called a 1203.4 motion and here is a link to assist you.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/crimlawclean.htm
    If you have successfully completed probation, you may qualify for an expungement. Contact a criminal defense lawyer.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    You can expunge your record if you have successfully completed probation.
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    The short answer is yes. The longer answer (which you should hear) is too long for me to type out. I'd be happy to talk to you about this matter (no fee) and tell you more about what an expungement can and cannot do for you.