Can I expunge a misdemeanor theft in Washington? 3 Answers as of May 12, 2011

Can I get a theft 3 misdemeanor expunged in Washington? I have court in a week, I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen. I have had no previous criminal history.

Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
A misdemeanor theft can be vacated from your criminal history after three years, but you can't have any other pending charges - so if the court date you mentioned is for something other than the theft, you'll have to wait until that's resolved before you can ask the court to vacate your theft. Does that make sense? Give me a call if you have any questions!
Absolutely you can. As long as five years have passed from your last day of probation, have no new criminal convictions and have paid all fees and costs, you can petition the court to vacate and dismiss the theft charge. If you go to the Washington State Courts web site, you can download the forms and instructions. If you aren't comfortable doing this on your own, I would be glad to take the ball and run with it for a moderate fee.
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
Please feel free to call my office to set up a free, no obligation consultation-in person or by phone-with an experienced family law attorney about your case. Expungement is possible for some crimes but only after like 3 years following probation. It doesn't happen immediately upon the end of probation.