Can I expedite my brothers i-130 for humanitarian reasons? 5 Answers as of January 06, 2011

My Brother lives right now in Juarez, Mexico where drug violence has escalated to very high numbers recently, and security is at very high risk, once the US Consulate had to shut down for a day. I still haven't applied for him (I'm US citizen) since I'm looking if I could include a letter at the same time of submitting the form. Could this be possible and what are the chances?

Thank you.

I am sorry that this has happened, and that we in America seem to be clueless about our own complicity in this situation, due to our appetite for drugs and abuse of our precious right to protect ourselves by failing to stop the flow of weapons out of our country into Mexico. On one hand, you are able to petition for your brothers as a sponsor for a green card with a Petition for Alien Relative. However, while that would be likely approved, they would be placed as a fourth preference level, which would mean a waiting period of at least 14 years or longer. The likely better option is if they were able to qualify as an employee for an American (or qualifying Mexican) employer as either a green card-earning, or temporary work visa. One such option is the TN-2 visa for employers qualifying under NAFTA. If you want to discuss this option or others, feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone to set up a consultation, either in person or by phone. Best to you.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Visa availability is statutory, and he will not get a visa until there is one available.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Filing for your brother requires two steps. the first one is the petition. You must show US citizenship, be at least 21, and show your relationship through birth certificates. The second step is the consular processing. This process begins once the visa is available. The whole process takes about 15 years right now. I am sorry to tell you that the process can not be expedited.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Unfortunately the answer to your question is no. Is he over the age of 16, has he ever applied for a visa.
As a US citizen, you are eligible to sponsor your brother. However, the wait time is 11 years long. I don't think violence in that area can help to expedite though.