Can I enroll in school in the US while on a visitors visa? 10 Answers as of February 13, 2011

I am a British citizen and am currently on vacation in the states. Can I change my status as a visitor and enroll in school? I am on the visa waiver program.

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
No, when you enter under the visa waiver program you can't request for a change of status inside the United States.
No; visitors are not permitted to attend school.
You need to adjust your status to visa F-1(student).
Apply for a student visa.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
No. You have to get an i-20 (you'll need to show money for that), return to your country, make an apt with the US consulate and apply for a student visa. It is not possible to change your status if you came here with the waiver program.
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    The visa waiver program does not allow you to change your status to student. Rather you would have to obtain the I-20 paperwork from the school and take it to a US consulate where you need to apply for the student visa (most likely the F-1 visa) and return on that student visa before you can enroll and begin your studies.
    Calderón, Racine & Derwin PLC
    Calderón, Racine & Derwin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    No. You cannot change status when you enter the visa waiver program. It is one of the downsides. The upside is that you don't have to apply for a visa to come here, the down side is that you can't change once you are here. You can start the process by getting appropriate documents from the school of your choice, but you need to return to England to apply for a student visa at the U.S. Embassy.
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    When you are on the visa waiver program, you cannot change to any other status. As a visitor, you are not legally permitted to enroll in school. You need a student visa for that. Immigration law applies to all fifty states.
    You cannot attend school in the U.S. as a visitor. You must file to change your status to F-1 (academic studies) or M-1 (if a vocational program) or obtain an F-1 or M-1 visa before coming to the U.S. If you enter the U.S. under the visa waiver program you cannot change your status in the U.S., but depart and apply for the F-1 or M-1 at the U.S. consulate in your home country. Enrolling and attending school while in the U.S. as a visa is a violation of your status and would disqualify you from returning to the U.S. under the visa waiver program.
    When you enter on the VWP, you are not allowed to change status in the US. You can however obtain the appropriate documents from the school of choice, fly home, and obtain an F-1 visa from the US consulate in London!