Can I end my child support after age 18? 4 Answers as of June 10, 2011

My child turned 18 in March and is graduating high school this week. I have not received any official notification that they intend to go to college. They said they want to enroll in the fall. ORS 107.108 states that they must have given me notice prior to turning 18. I have received nothing, but I am in WA State and they keep sending me child support bills because they say that my child told Oregon that they were going to attend college in the fall. How do I end my support? Do I have to file something?

Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
First, what state entered the child support order? That state's law will govern how and when child support ends. Also, if the order is a Washington state order, it will generally spell out how and when child support ends. If it is a WA order, then, those terms would govern.
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
If your child support order is from an Oregon court, then you need to consult with an Oregon attorney as to child support law there. If your child support order is from Washington, you need to look at the order to see what it says about termination of support. If you still have questions after that, consult with a attorney in your area.
Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
First the child is still attending school so it does not end. The child has expressed intent to attend in the fall, so under Oregon case law, the support continues. If the child does not begin to attend at least 6 hours of classes per term, then child support can end; or as you can see from the statute, if the child does not follow through on the child's obligations. The obligation of child support to a child 18 or over runs to both parents.
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
You have to wait until the Fall to see if your 18 year old child registers for and attends school.