Can I emigrate back to the US after surrendering my green card? 2 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I was convicted of 2 DUIs in 1999 and 2000, decided to move back to the UK and surrendered my green card. I now want to move back to the US to be with family members as my mother is a US citizen. I've had a clean record since my DUIs but will I have problems trying to emigrate back? ie. my mother filing an I-130.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Yes, you can.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/11/2013
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You have to be re-petitioned for a new Green Card. Since you mother is a U.S. she can petition you. However, since you are over 21 years old, it will take 7 (if you are unmarried) to 10 years (if married) before you would be able to immigrant to the U.S. Assuming the 2 DUIs did not result in injuries to anyone, they should be prevent you from returning since they were more than 10 years ago.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: