Can I either file a complaint against the witness or sue him for my attorney's fees? 28 Answers as of May 28, 2013

I was arrested for a breaking a window but I did not do it. The charges were dropped at pre-trial, but I paid $2500 for attorney's fees. The only thing the state had was an eyewitness statement that positively identified me as the person who did it. However, I had video proof that I was somewhere else at the time.

Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
It's tough suing witnesses. The state WANTS witnesses to come forward. You MIGHT have a suit here though and maybe against the cops and prosecutor. Talk to a local attorney.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You cannot sue the witness. He did not file the action. He did not prosecute the action.
Unless you can prove he was deliberately lying rather than being mistaken you will not succeed.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Perhaps consider asking the police to prosecute the witness for perjury and asking for $2500 restitution.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    It is possible to sue for malicious prosecution but those are tough cases.
    Unless you can prove malicious prosecution you cannot sue anyone. If the witness or the police made a mistake you have no case. If they intentionally set you up knowing you were innocent and you can prove that fact then you might find a civil lawyer to sue one or more of the people involved.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Talk to a civil lawyer.
    Hire a civil attorney to handle a civil lawsuit, but be prepared to pay for the consultation, and be ready to be rejected by the attorney, as your cause of action seems very weak.
    You can consult with a civil attorney to see if there is a cause of action for you to pursue.
    Talk with your attorney.
    No. All witness testimony, reports, etc are immune from legal action. Otherwise everyone would be afraid to report a crime for fear of being sued.
    The lawsuit would be for malicious prosecution. You might be able to bring a lawsuit against a person who intentionally had you arrested for a frivious reason but not a law enforcement agency or member acting under the color of law.
    You would have to prove that the witness absolutely knew he was lying. You will probably fail in that. It is probably best to let it go. But you do have a statute of limitations on malicious prosecution so talk to a civil attorney.
    Generally not. You would have to show that this person actually knew you were not the person who committed the crime and despite knowing that, intentionally filed a false police report for the sole purpose of doing you wrong. Absent such, the answer is "No".
    Unless you can show that the accusation was knowingly false and malicious you have now recovery from the "witness".
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    You are not likely to succeed, based on what you have stated.
    Sure you can, just be prepared to cough up a few hundred dollars per hour in legal fees that you will need to pay another lawyer to sue on your behalf.
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Louis J. Meyer
    Is there a reason this witness identified you? You will need to prove the witness identified you out of malice to recover under a theory of malicious prosecution.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    No.
    Langford Law Firm
    Langford Law Firm | Theresa Langford
    The burden is on you to prove that the prosecution was false and fraudulent and malicious. If it was a merely a mistake, then no.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    You should consult a civil attorney regarding a potential lawsuit against the complaining witness.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    No.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    If the eye witness sincerely believed you were the one who broke the window, then you can't file a complaint or sue him for honest testimony. If the witness did this to harass you or cause you trouble, and you can prove that, then you may have a case. If you came to me with this issue, though, I would not take the case on a contingency, and would probably charge you more than the $2,500 you are trying to recover.
    No, the law does not recognize that claim.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Sue the person for malicious prosecution. You will have to pay an attorney to do so, but part of the damages to you was the attorney fees you paid in the criminal case.
    If you had video proof, why did you pay an attorney $ 2500, when you could have just shown your video proof to the prosecutor and got the charges dismissed? Did you try that? I suspect that the video proof was not as convicing as might have hoped. However, you are free to sue whomever you want to sue. Good luck.